Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic:
Top Ten Characters I’d Want As Family Members
1. Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. Sometimes the best family members aren’t blood-related. Jean Valjean is one of the greatest father figures ever, defining unselfish love by protecting and providing for his adopted daughter Cosette.
2. Nobody Owens from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I want to adopt him. The ghosts do a pretty good job raising him though, I must say. Still, he could use some mothering–a hearty dinner, clean clothes and a sympathetic ear.
3. Tobin from Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George. I always wanted an older brother, and this mute bodyguard would fit the role perfectly.
4. Primrose from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Prim is one of the characters that develops the most in this trilogy. The older sister in me would do anything to protect her, just like Katniss.
5. Alice Cullen from Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. She’d make an awesome sister. She’s fun, fashionable and she can predict the future somewhat accurately. However, I’m not sure she’d be good for my moral development.
6. Matt from Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. I’m not quite old enough to be his mother, but I’d be proud to have him as a son a few years down the road. He’s kind, intelligent, adventurous. I’m amused when he lets Kate push him around.
7. Sherlock Holmes. “Uncle Sherlock” has such a nice ring to it! I’d love to drink port with him and unravel mysteries. He seems too distant a character to be a close relative, but he’d be a wonderful family resource.
8. Charlotte Lucas from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I think she’d make a great cousin or older sister, providing a healthy dose of practicality now and then.
9. Ethan from The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I’m reading this novel right now, and I’m so afraid for the real Ethan. He seems so adorable! I’d like to have him as a son.
10. Do we get to have a dragon? He wouldn’t be a pet…more like a giant brother. I choose Fenuil, the neurotic dog-loving dragon from Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George.